DENTAL SLEEP MEDICINE
Providing service throughout the Okanagan and B.C.’s Interior, our care encompasses the comprehensive management of snoring, obstructive sleep apnea, and also their associated dental disorders including Sleep Bruxism (night-time tooth grinding), Temporomandibular Dysfunction (TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorders), Orofacial pain and Excessive Tooth Wear and related issues.
When you come to Dr. Bray for our sleep disorder services, you'll get access to a warm, caring group of professionals who want to help you overcome your condition. As a valued patient, you'll receive our full attention during every appointment.
Many issues are associated with corrective dental sleep medicine.
- Snoring is associated with heart attacks; strokes, high blood pressure and bed-partner’s sleep deprivation. Snoring is not benign - management can lead to a longer and healthier life with greater quality for those around you.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is common and can be associated with increased car and work related accidents, memory loss, poor daytime functioning, high blood pressure and other serious medical conditions. It can be mild, moderate or severe but the individual response to the level of disease may be different. OSA must never be overlooked even if snoring is the patient (or bed-partner’s) main concern. Management of this potentially life-threatening condition will enhance and potentially prolong life
- Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS), is yet another aspect of airway compromise during sleep. It is often seen in young, fit, slim individuals, and many are female - those not typically associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. These people often have low blood pressure ‘not high as is often seen in OSA’. This disorder may be associated with a host of other (apparently) unrelated issues such as chronic pain syndromes. Resolution can enhance and return heath and wellbeing.
- Temporomandibular Dysfunction (TD) and Facial pain are commonly associated with OSA.
- Bruxism (tooth grinding). Tooth grinding is often a sign of obstructive sleep apnea. Without correction this, costly dental work can fail costing you time and frustration, your dentist frustration and cost and his technician frustration and time. Further tooth wear is unsightly and gives the appearance of premature aging. Just as buying a home is “location, location, location”, dental and medical treatment is “diagnosis, diagnosis, diagnosis”.
- Diagnostics and expert opinion.